Why is BIM VDC modeling approach different?
BIM is not just a technology, but it is an integrated way of working. That is why itself BIM can ensure quality of project by providing better delivery of outputs during construction work, if it is implemented correctly. BIM implements a collaborative culture in construction work. As the team members are provided with one central source of data with the help of BIM, they get accurate and consistent information at the correct time. However, a clear process and solid definition of requirements are necessary to develop a digital asset of data that provides right deliverables at the right time.
As mentioned earlier, BIM is not a simple technology. The scope of this advanced method in construction industry is wide. In simple sentence, we can say that BIM generates and manages all data related to building project during the asset life cycle. This real-time, three-dimensional and dynamic building modeling software can implement during the design, construction and operation stages of a project in order to improve the productivity.
BIM, using the software tools, creates a database of important information regarding a project. The delivery and operation teams also can organize this information with the help of BIM VDC modeling. Using this data, a virtual construction model that represent the design can be created so that the designers can easily explain the construction of the project from beginning to end more accurately and easily.
- BIM is a knowledge resource of asset information that can be depended on and shared during an asset life cycle to form the basis for decisions during the project life cycle.
- The most important feature of BIM is ‘I’, which represents ‘Information. It enhances information, communication and delivery.
- The digital representation of the physical asset of a project is rich with data and it helps the construction team to solve issues.
- BIM can demonstrate the possible impacts before and during asset operation and analyze the situations where a solution is required.
- A single BIM is not required for an asset, instead, we can use various sub models for the same.
- The sub models for varied purposes like structural, architectural and energy modeling or facilities management can be combined to form a multidisciplinary model. When these models are combined, they are connected to a construction programme. It simulates sequences, operations and phasing.
- The health and safety during construction can be ensured by using digital fabrication and off-site manufacturing.
BIM can be used during the entire life cycle of the project from inception to operation. As BIM is a platform that can give vital asset information required for each stage of the construction. Thus it improves the asset management significantly. As a result, the performance is improved, running cost is reduced and a better service to the end user is ensured.